LuskinOIC Top 22 of 2022
Luskin Orthopaedic Institute for Children is wrapping up an exceptional 2022. While many are the accomplishments, we are thrilled to share the top 22 with you, because no story would be possible without you. Your relentless support invigorates us to aim and reach higher in 2023.
As we thank you for being a meaningful part of the LuskinOIC community in 2022, we remain determined to advance our mission that every child, regardless of background, receives timely specialty care.
1. To honor Renee & Meyer Luskin’s transformational donation, our Institute is now named Luskin Luskin Orthopaedic Institute for Children. The largest gift ever made to our endowment, the Luskins’ donation ensures that children, irrespective of their insurance status, receive timely specialty care for generations to come.
2. We received our highest ranking ever by U.S. News & World Report.
3. Fully funded by philanthropic support, we broke ground on a new Border Clinic in Calexico, California. For more than six decades, we have sent medical teams to the border to provide free medical care to children from Mexico with complex orthopaedic conditions.
4. Thanks to The Ahmanson Foundation and Callie D. McGrath Foundation, we opened a new CT Suite with the most advanced Computed Tomography Scanner on the market.
5. Patient visits are quickly returning to pre-pandemic levels.
6. The LA Times profiled our Patient Ambassador Efrain on the front page of their Friday, March 25th edition. Diagnosed with congenital femoral deficiency, Efrain came to LuskinOIC with an underdeveloped leg and crooked foot. Dr. Anthony Scaduto, along with a team of surgeons, performed a leg-length-matching surgery that has allowed Efrain to run and even ride dirt bikes today.
7. We are proud to partner with UCLA to bring adult orthopaedic care services to the community in DTLA.
8. Our Ambulatory Surgery Center experienced a 0% infection rate, performing better than the national average for infections, and our surgical outcomes have ranked among the best in the nation and abroad.
9. Dr. Rachel Thompson was named the UCLA Orthopaedic Residency Program Director; Dr. Nick Bernthal, the Interim Chair of the UCLA Department of Orthopaedic Surgery; and Dr. Mauricio Silva, the Department’s Vice Chair of Operations.
10. Dr. Nicholas Bernthal’s current research focuses on reducing the incidence of orthopaedic implant infections by improving both the implants and the patients’ immune systems. His National Institutes of Health-funded laboratory is developing new implant coatings to enhance patients’ ability to fight off bacteria.
11. Our scientists published more than forty discoveries in peer-reviewed academic publications. Research areas include how vitamin D can be repurposed as an immune booster to combat Covid, and how virtual reality technology can be deployed to teach surgical skills.
12. Themed “A Night of Heroic Proportions,” the LuskinOIC Stand for Kids Gala took place at Paramount Studios in Hollywood. The sold-out event raised more than an astounding $1.3 toward the LuskinOICare for Kids Fund.
13. Our Hemophilia Treatment Center (HTC) concluded research that resulted in the clinical use of a Musculoskeletal Ultrasound (MSKUS) for patients with bleeding disorders and musculoskeletal conditions world-wide, via the publication of the HTC MSKUS Usage Guideline.
14. The Wickman family’s major gift of $830,000 has offered LuskinOIC an opportunity to maximize others’ giving by matching our donors’ contributions.
15. We trained over 100 medical students, residents, fellows, international surgeons, PhD candidates, and radiology technology students.
16. We launched Save My Spot, a web platform allowing parents to navigate their busy schedules by reserving their spot in our Pediatric Orthopaedic Urgent Care Center. More than 500 families have relied on the program since October 15th. Immediately popular among our community, Save My Spot is ready to be scaled up in 2023.
17. For the 10th consecutive year, we reduced our debt and plan to be debt free in five years.
18. Our Community Engagement Program is a hallmark of our mission, from programs for Orthopaedic Medical Magnet High School students to our work with the Los Angeles Dodgers Foundation. This year, under the direction of Dr. Feranmi Okanlami, we were proud to expand our work in adaptive sports and to support the UCLA Adaptive Tennis team.
19. Despite California ranking 47th in Medicaid support for children’s healthcare, LuskinOIC was able to meet our budget projections due to prudent financial management, investment returns, and donations.
20. We continued to upgrade the physical plant on our downtown campus, including the installation of a new HVAC system.
21. We announced our partners at Active Life, the company that provides orthotic and prosthetics services to our patients, will be opening a clinic on our downtown campus, allowing our families convenient access for brace and prosthetic care.
22. The LuskinOIC Annual Swing for Kids Golf Tournament set a new record as we surpassed the Wickman family $150,000 match challenge to raise more than ever before. 122 golfers, 20 sponsors led by the Shah family, 7 patient ambassadors, and 70 volunteers enjoyed a memorable day at the Palos Verdes Golf Club.
View this post on Instagram